Robin Rodig came into my life around the 10th anniversary of losing our common friend, Pat "Noodle" Newell to cancer. After an hour of the two of us supremely inquisitive ladies tossing questions back and forth, Robin volunteered her beautiful beach house to the charity auction I was pulling together. Her radiant warmth, kindness and humor caught my attention and what she's been up to maintained it.
Since we first connected, Robin's been jetsetting around the globe. When Robin Goes To a new destination, she snaps gorgeous photos, shares the stories on her blog (and HuffPo!), and collects traditional fabrics for future art projects. Sure, she must be some free-spirited Californian hippie, right? Au contraire. She's a self-described, perfect attendance awarding-winning rule-follower who worked for the same company for 16 years. So, how on Planet Earth, did Robin make that leap? Hint: It was with the click of a button, but you'll have to tune in to learn more.
Learn more about Robin here.
Listen to the complete episode in any of these fine places:
Selected link love and resources from the episode
- Connect with Robin on social media: Twitter | Facebook | Pinterest
- Gymboree Play & Music
- Robin on the Huffington Post (and specifically Things I’ve Learned from Living out of a Suitcase)
- Images of Polish folk fabric on Google
- Robin's go-to black tee from Target: Mossimo featherweight with long sleeves
- Globe Convert (a converter app for traveling)
- Republica's "Ready to Go" on the Songs to Energize playlist
- Led Zeppelin's "The Rain Song" and Zero 7's "This World" on the Songs to Soothe playlist
- Kickass Theme Music: “Things Are Getting Better” Written by Rishi Dhir. Performed by The High Dials.
- Stay in the loop about future Le vital corps Salon episodes: Twitter | Facebook | The List (sent monthly-ish including helpful health + lifestyle information)
Quotes, questions considered + other nuggets from the episode
- This can't be what it's going to be like for the rest of my life. When you feel that pit in your stomach about going to work and where it can eventually lead if unaddressed. Learn what Robin did about it.
- The body never lies. -Brooke Siler (one of Kara's Pilates teachers who was referenced)
- I just needed to shake it up.
- As soon as I clicked "Book it," I was going to have to give my notice. Learn how Robin hit the button and radically changed her life.
- How to grow a thicker skin when you're really shaking things up (from a woman who had to do it)
- The benefits of changing your scenery (even if temporarily)
- Learning how to travel solo and culturally immerse yourself at your destination
- How Robin reconciled two of her deeply held life goals as well as her past experience
- There are plenty of ways to earn income to support the lifestyle that you want to have. You do have to get creative.
- How Robin embraces a simpler lifestyle and defines her sense of "home" (A.k.a. how Robin almost left me a little speechless)
- What's in Robin's suitcase? (I was obsessed because I always feel schlubby or like I packed all the wrong stuff when I travel.)
- What must Robin have when travels to perpetuate her simple lifestyle while on the road?
- What has most surprised Robin about strangers while traveling?
- Robin and I wonder if there's a Dunkin Donuts at the North Pole.
- What does over-scheduling cost you? We consider this.
- Over-scheduling is not something that I'm comfortable with. That's a new thing for me.
- Who's life is this?! (It's Robin's, and she created it.)
- What promise did Robin make to herself about body image?
- Stop waiting for the "perfect" time.
Want to find more episodes?
Easy. Peasy. All Le vital corps Salon episodes live over here and are ready to make your ears happy. Thanks for tuning in!
Subscribe to Le vital corps Salon podcast
Got something to say? A question? An idea for a future guest? The comment section is there for you, IF you can (1) be excellent to others, (2) ask or say things like you're talking to a real human, and (3) be critical without being nasty. If you can't do that, prepare to be deleted. Otherwise, have fun and merci beaucoup for adding to the convo.