Knowing our core values can be quite illuminating and mega-useful. It's the very essence of how we conduct our life or perform our work.
What are some of the benefits of defining your core values?
- Increased clarity of who you are as an individual
- Boosts your confidence
- Provides a greater sense of purpose and having your shit together
- Supports your growth and personal development
- Helps you make better decisions
- Allows you to identify people or environments that energize you more (and weed out the ones that don't)
- Reduces your need for others' approval or other external validation
- Busts up stress and confusion
When you actually practice living your core values, you are living with more purpose and flow. When you live with more purpose and flow, you make a helluva lot more room in your life for health, passion and joy. When you drift or feel like it's time for a change, you have something to return to again and again.
Top 5 time!
I really want you to prioritize here. I know, I know. You value a lot of things, but let's stick to the Top 5, so you don't get overwhelmed.
If you need a little inspiration, try some of these on for size: Achievement Ambition Adventure Balance Capable Cheerful Committed Confidence Contribution Control Creativity Discipline Education Exciting life Faith Family Financial Security Friends Freedom Fulfillment Forgiveness Fun Growth Happiness Harmony Hard working Health Hope Honesty Humor Independent Integrity Intellectual Joyful Kindness Knowledge Logical Loving Loyalty Marriage Openness Peace of mind Personal development Pleasure Power Progress Reason Responsible Security Self-reliance Self-respect Service Social recognition Spirituality Strength Success Truth Wealth Wisdom
By no means is this an exhaustive list. Be creative.
Can't whittle it down to just 5?
I've done this exercise, so I know how challenging it can be to choose your top 5 values. There are three things that I want you to know:
- I made this Core Value Calculator for you. (From my Inner CPA to you with love.)
- Seriously, get it down to 5 values that you can really consider without turning into an overwhelmed headcase.
- Remember, this is just an exercise in exploration, not perfection. They will come into focus over time.
So, what are your top 5?
Did you dig this exercise? This is just one of the many tools I use and use with my private clients who are working towards a healthier life spiked with passion and slathered with joy. Because it's so much more than carrots and calories.
Want exercises like this emailed to you? You got it. Head over here.