When I was at SXSW in Austin recently, I met musician/songwriter Nicole Atkins. Turns out, we have mutual friends, so she agreed to an immediate interview. It was totally impromptu, and some day we'll all laugh about my nerves from clearly operating outside of my comfort zone.
Yes, this is the same Nicole Atkins who Rolling Stone praised as having a "voice full of longing and Loretta Lynn elegance.” On some of her more emotionally raw songs, you have to wonder if she isn't channeling a bit of Roy Orbison's beautiful melancholy.
For anyone who saw some of her residency gigs at Piano's back in the day, we're not surprised this sensitive New Jerseyite would make her way to Nashville eventually. When this rare, funny old soul isn't touring the world or finding herself on late night television, that's where she calls home now or where she recovers when she falls into a sinkhole. Tune in to hear about that story and more.
Learn tons more about Nicole and her work here.
Listen to the complete episode in any of these fine places:
Selected link love + resources from the episode
- Connect with Nicole on social media: Twitter | Facebook | Instagram | Youtube | SoundCloud | Spotify
- PledgeMusic (where you can pre-order her forthcoming album Goodnight Rhonda Lee)
- Photographer Rambo
- What Nicole is listening to: Django Django, Beta Band, Brent Cobb and the Texas Gentlemen
- Kickass Theme Music: “Things Are Getting Better” Written by Rishi Dhir. Performed by The High Dials.
- Stay in the loop about future Le vital corps Salon episodes: Twitter | Facebook | The List · (sent monthly-ish including helpful health + lifestyle information)
Subscribe to Le vital corps Salon podcast
Got something to say? A question? An idea for a future guest? The comment section is there for you, IF you can (1) be excellent to others, (2) ask or say things like you're talking to a real human, and (3) be critical without being nasty. If you can't do that, prepare to be deleted. Otherwise, have fun and merci beaucoup for adding to the convo.